Happy Wednesday, neighbors! Here’s everything you need to know in Woonsocket today.
You’ll read the obituary for a former Woonsocket salon owner as well as see why the state chapters of the NAACP and ACLU are joining other groups in calling for marijuana legalization.
First, today’s weather: Heavy rain throughout the day. High: 68 Low: 61.
Here are the top stories today in Woonsocket:
- CapeCod.com reports a 28-year-old Woonsocket man was arrested by police in Barnstable last week and charged with two counts of warrant arrest. (CapeCod.com)
- GoLocalProv reports Dennis Corsini, who served in the Army National Guard and was the former owner of Den’s Barber Salon in Woonsocket, died over the weekend. He was 75. (GoLocalProv)
- Katie Mulvaney of The Providence Journal reports more than two dozen outreach workers and advocates recognized International Overdose Awareness Day by staging a die-in next to four wooden coffins outside the Executive Office of Health and Human Services building in Cranston. Participants lied on the grass as the group demanded that enough naloxone, the nasal overdose reversal drug, be available to those who need it. (The Providence Journal)
- Kyle Jaeger of Marijuana Moment reports 10 civil rights and drug policy reform advocacy organizations are urging lawmakers to pass legislation legalizing marijuana by year’s end. Among the groups: the Rhode Island chapters of the NAACP and the American Civil Liberties Union, or ACLU. (Marijuana Moment)
- Jeff Peek of Hagerty Media reports Rhode Island has been telling owners of small Japanese domestic market cars and trucks that their vehicles can no longer be driven on public roadways. They must also surrender their plates. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the owners are now fighting back — and they’re prepared to take the battle to court. (Hagerty Media)
- Rachel Nunes of Patch reports state Treasurer Seth Magaziner is urging Gov. Dan McKee to institute an employee vaccine requirement in schools. Implementing such a policy would put Rhode Island in line with other states including California, Illinois, New Jersey and New York. (Patch)
Tired of paying too much for your prescriptions? GoodRx helps you locate the lowest prices for medications at local pharmacies. Works for pet medications, too! GoodRx also helps bring the Daily to Woonsocket. Support our sponsor and see how much you can save by going to GoodRx.com.
Woonsocket Patch Notebook
- The Woonsocket Cat Sanctuary was pleased to announce that a pair of calico kitten siblings found their forever home. (Facebook)
Did you know you can feature your local business in this spot for just $79/month? Click here to get started.
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Wednesday. I’ll see you soon! If you’re loving these newsletters, consider bringing some of your friends and neighbors along for the ride. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Dan Hampton
About me: Hi! My name is Dan Hampton and I’m the program manager for Patch’s Community Publisher Initiative. Formerly a local editor on Long Island covering Port Washington, Wantagh-Seaford, Levittown, Glen Cove, Plainview, Syosset, New Hyde Park, Hicksville, Great Neck, Oyster Bay and Mineola. I am the former wire editor on Patch’s national team and a former news associate at The Associated Press. I graduated with a journalism degree from Temple University in Philadelphia. Send tips and/or photos of your dog to email@example.com.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Woonsocket Daily? Reach out anytime to firstname.lastname@example.org.